Canadian Coast Guard Auxiliary
Volunteer Marine Search and Rescue
Are Canadian Coast Guard Auxiliary (CCGA) community owned vessels or dedicated response vessels (owned by the community or by community members) insured while they are secured at the dock?
Yes. Community owned vessels and dedicated response vessels are considered on "SAR Standby" and therefore are insured while at the dock. CCGA owned vessels are also insured under CCGA insurance policies while they are secured at the dock.
Are CCGA owned vessels insured while they are secured at the dock?
Yes, vessels owned by the regional CCGA Associations are insured while they are secured at the dock.
Are Coast Guard vessels loaned to the CCGA insured while they are secured at the dock?
Yes, Coast Guard vessels loaned to the CCGA are insured while they are secured at the dock. However, it is CCG policy to no longer loan Coast Guard vessels to the CCGA and this now is done only in exceptional circumstances.
Are CCGA vessels insured while participating in oil spill response activities?
Yes, CCGA vessels are insured while participating in oil spill response activities or other pollution resulting from search and rescue operations, but cleaning of rescue vessel hulls resulting from participation in the search and rescue activity is not covered. The polluter would be responsible for the costs associated with cleaning the rescue and rescued vessels.
What is the coverage under CCGA insurance for theft and vandalism of a CCGA owned vessel?
Generally, coverage would be provided under CCGA Hull & Machinery insurance to the value declared to insurers for the vessel, to the policy limit with a deductible of 1% of the value declared to the insurer, subject to a $1,000 minimum deductible.
Are CCGA owned vessels covered by insurance while they are stored on a CCGA member´s residential or commercial property?
Yes, the vessels are covered under CCGA insurance. There is no restriction on the CCGA Hull & Machinery policy with respect to winter storage. CCGA are insured at any time wherever they are located.
Does CCGA insurance coverage for charter hire include recreational fishing vessels or all vessels engaged in fishing?
CCGA marine insurance coverage extends to CCGA commercial fishing vessels only. It is not extended to recreational fishing vessels or other vessels.
Does the marine insurance underwriter cover replacement cost or depreciated value in cases of damage or equipment loss on board a vessel?
As a general rule, insurers only pay replacement cost value if this was the value reported to the insurer and the lost or damaged property is actually replaced. Otherwise, recovery would be at the actual cash value (depreciated replacement cost). The CCGA Hull & Machinery insurance provides coverage for the value reported to the insurer, up to full replacement cost, but not exceeding $2,500 for Personal Effects and there must be a claim on the vessel itself before coverage is provided.
If I have to drop my nets (fish catch) to proceed to a search and rescue (SAR) case, will I be reimbursed for my loss under the CCGA insurance coverage?
This type of insurance is not generally available. Normally, there is no coverage for loss of fishnets, gear or fish catch under Hull & Machinery insurance. Loss of fish catch is not insured under the CCGA insurance program. Coverage for fishnets and gear is excluded under the CCGA insurance policy unless an insured value was declared for them at the beginning of the policy period and then only in the event of a total loss of the nets and gear following a declared total loss of the vessel.
Whose responsibility is it to report damage to a CCGA vessel as a result of a search and rescue (SAR) tasking and when?
It is up to the CCGA owner/operator member to report any damage or suspected damage to your regional Coast Guard representative immediately following the conclusion of the search and rescue (SAR) case. Once informed, the CCGA regional office is responsible for reporting the claim to the insurer. In addition, if damage occurs during a SAR case every effort should be made to notify JRCC or MRSC of the damage, especially if the damage might jeopardize the safety of the CCGA vessel and its crew. JRCC or MRSC must be notified so that they can monitor the progress of the CCGA vessel to ensure it reaches port safely.
Is damage to a tasked Auxiliary vessel covered while being slung via helicopter?
Yes, coverage is provided under the CCGA marine insurance program.
Does the Hull & Machinery underwriter cover replacement cost value or depreciated value in case of a total loss of a vessel?
The CCGA Hull and Machinery policy covers actual cash value or replacement cost value, depending on which type of value was declared to the Insurer.